Social and Mobile Conference at Electronic Arts
February 21, 2013
By Marni Gordon, vice president of committees and conferences, ANA
I had a great time hosting our second annual ANA Members Only Conference at Electronic Arts in Redwood City, California! This year’s theme was Social and Mobile and the day included great sessions from Electronic Arts, Del Monte, Hewlett-Packard, Lytro, and Qualcomm. The conference ended with a fantastic visit to the EA company store along with delicious candy donated by American Licorice! Here are a few key highlights from the event:
- Electronic Arts: Dave Madden, senior vice president of global media solutions, stressed that the way for brands to succeed in gaming is to add value to the game play experience. We also learned about the “pass back factor” which is the likelihood a child will ask their parents to pass back their phone in the car to play a particular game.
- Hewlett-Packard: Alex Flagg, director of customer market and insights at Hewlett-Packard and Rebecca Hill, director of social media at HP’s agency Doremus, talked about HP’s “Star Maker” program which “influences industry influencers” in the business-to-business space. Hewlett-Packard selects key employees to become brand ambassadors to raise the profile of key HP leaders in the industry.
- Lytro: Kira Wampler, vice president of marketing shared how they successfully launched their Lytro camera without advertising. Word of mouth, social media, and PR were the center of their efforts which translated to meaningful business results.
- Del Monte: Gina Squara, digital strategy director, spoke about how Del Monte used social media to reposition a 100 year old brand. Key lessons learned from their ongoing social journey included to continue to test and learn and find “early wins” as well as creating integrated campaigns with specific online goals.
- Qualcomm: Anand Chandrasekher, senior vice president and chief marketing officer, talked about their innovative Snapdragon campaign which was an instant viral hit on YouTube. Attendees also learned ways to incorporate augmented reality as part of their mobile efforts to create richer brand experiences.
Top fun facts and quotes shared during the day:
- “The world will soon have more mobile devices than humans.”
- “Facebook is a year-long Christmas letter.”
- “People look at their phones every 6.5 minutes – 150 times a day!”
Comments 1 comment(s)
Krupa Patel March 13, 2013 1:42pm ET
- Where can I get a copy of the notes that were taken during the conference? Thanks!
You must be logged in to submit a comment.