Highlights from ANA Brand Masters ConferenceApril 22, 2013
By Marni Gordon, vice president of committees and conferences, ANA
ANA is well known for its fall “Masters of Marketing” Conference, which features terrific content and prominent speakers, including many leading CMOs and other marketing thought leaders. This year we held our first annual ANA Brand Masters Conference which was a very special intimate springtime companion to the Masters of Marketing. This first-time event was SOLD OUT and more than 320 people were in attendance.
Key takeaways from the conference were:
- InterContinental Hotels Group: The mission should be to build strong brands tied to a measureable objective. Brand building is a business accountability NOT a marketing accountability.
- Denny’s: Embrace your brand DNA. Drive through to every touch point.
- Gap: Big heart matters. Values can drive business.
- Heineken: Keys to Facebook engagement: Keep it short and funny with a visual. Tighten your strategy then adjust, adjust, adjust.
- Procter & Gamble: You can teach almost anything. The thing you can’t teach is desire. Desire comes from within.
- USAA: Passionate member advocacy as a competitive differentiator. Focus on your lifetime value to members/customers.
- ADT: Tight strategy for use of content across channels. Brand fit, subject matter themes, brand movement, and enhanced activation drive funding.
- Lippincott: Step up and fill a role that is (a) most important and (b) often the most overlooked...inspiring and enabling the employees who deliver the story.
- Lincoln Financial Group: Focus on employees to build the brand.
- Effective Brands: Winning at global marketing is the what and how.
- Campbell Soup Company: Important to organize for success:
- Brand Management
- Global Cues
- Global Brand Linkage
- Global Strategy
- Global Marketing Capabilities & Excellence
- Agency Management
- Cleveland Clinic:
- Empathy as a core brand promise.
- Emotional messaging is an appropriate way to build awareness, especially in social/earned channels.
- Honest Tea: Brands become powerful when they find ways to authentically connect with issues and causes consumers care about.
My colleague, Bill Duggan, has posted a blog on additional insights from the conference around one of the recurring themes -- the critical role employees play in brand building.
The 2014 ANA Brand Masters Conference will be March 19 to 21 in Hollywood, Fla. Mark your calendars now and I look forward to seeing you there!!!!
You must be logged in to submit a comment.