Highlights from ANA Content Marketing Members Only ConferenceOctober 24, 2013
By Marni Gordon, vice president of committees and conferences, ANA
This week we held our first-ever ANA Members Only Conference on Content Marketing in New York City and had a great day! The event was hosted by Thomson Reuters and A&E Networks was the presenting sponsor. The day was filled with rich real-time insights on keys to content marketing success and included sessions from Charles Schwab & Co., GE, Thomson Reuters, A&E/Duck Dynasty, Post Foods, and L’Oreal. Here are some key highlights from the event:
- Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.: Helen Loh, Vice President, Content & Digital Marketing stressed that today’s marketing must deliver useful value to consumers and that content marketing is the currency to earn consumer engagement and affinity. Helen shared her team’s key lessons learned in content marketing which are:
- Content in paid media is highly effective in generating engagement.
- Engagement vs. conversion may be optimized in different formats.
- Content expands the scope of marketing – key challenge is to integrate functions in new ways.
- Content requires different teams and processes.
- Creating a “content center of excellence” can be a low-friction way to build centralized governance.
- The media is the message.
- Think like a publisher.
- Go beyond eyeballs: passions
- Within content marketing, the brand needs to be authentic and have a voice of people talking to people vs. a brand talking to people.
- If you set up a strong owned and earned media strategy first, then your brand is more likely to use your paid media more wisely.
- Search is where the consumer thinks on their own terms and it is important to use this data to create relevant and authentic content.
- Creative Innovation
- 24 Hour Newsroom – agility is critical and the team needs to respond within hours
- Adapt or Die
- Measurability is Key – need to provide real-time analysis on what’s happening and act quickly on findings.
I really enjoyed this event and can’t wait to learn more about how top marketers leverage real-time content marketing at ANA’s Real-Time Marketing Conference!!! This inaugural event, presented by Starcom, is December 4th in New York City! Speakers include Kraft Foods Group, The Coca-Cola Company, Hasbro, Anheuser-Busch, MINI, MasterCard Worldwide, Capital One, Nestle and more!!! I look forward to seeing you there!
You must be logged in to submit a comment.