Early Marketing2020 Study Results Foster Discussion Among Global Chief Marketing Officers at Cannes
CANNES, FRANCE – June 24, 2013 – The chief marketing officers of Unilever, IBM, VISA and Adobe chaired the first ever CMO round table at the Cannes Lions Festival, where they and more than 60 other CMOs and leading marketers discussed early findings of the Marketing2020 study.
Cannes is the first in a series of CMO round tables to be held around the world as a part of Marketing2020. Participants at each will examine the role and creation of purposeful brands, the structure, role and capabilities of marketing, how to analyze big data in marketing, the role of the CMO and collaboration with agencies.
Within the US, roundtables will occur on July 11 in Los Angeles, July 17 in New York City and July 30 in Chicago.
Early findings discussed at the Cannes Lions Festival include:
- Fifty-eight percent of marketers work closely with their CEO to establish the company’s strategic growth agenda – a 20 percent increase from 2006
- Seventy-three percent of marketers believe brands with a societal purpose drive business growth
- Ninety percent of marketers expect the size of global marketing departments to remain the same or increase over the next five years
- Sixty-five percent of senior marketers (SVP+) expect marketing and communications departments to merge in the next five years
- Only 20 percent of marketers feel their teams receive adequate training, even though increased marketer training correlates with increased business growth
“Marketing2020 – and the impressive group of senior marketers that gathered at Cannes to discuss it – represent a burgeoning breakthrough in our industry,” said Bob Liodice, president and CEO of the ANA (Association of National Advertisers). “The results of the study, including the Cannes discussion, will provide senior marketers around the world with clear pathways to business growth. This is the most ambitious, significant research and leadership initiative the ANA has ever taken part in.”
The study also revealed:
- Technology developments drive massive change in the way marketers develop value propositions and connect with consumers
- Data mining and analytics are the capabilities marketers most want to develop over the next five years
- The role of brands will increase significantly despite increasing consumer information and global transparency
- Marketing leaders of organizations outgrowing their competition tend to be closer to consumers and focus more on developing people in comparison to their peers
- Creative and agency partners will play a more important role in marketing organizations in the future
“Global marketing leaders are looking for guidance on how to structure their organizations,” said Marc de Swaan Arons, founder of EffectiveBrands and head of Marketing2020. “It is gratifying to see so many senior marketing leaders embrace Marketing2020. We are confident that it will be an incredibly valuable exchange and learning platform for all involved.”
Over the past three months, 350 CEOs, CMOs, CMO peers and agency leaders and several thousand marketers from around the world have contributed to Marketing2020. The Marketing2020 online survey is available at: http://bit.ly/10pK5Jc.
"The participation of so many world-leading CMOs at the Marketing2020 event in Cannes is indicative of the transformation unfolding within marketing organizations driven by digital and big data. Marketing2020 will serve as a roadmap for CMOs to navigate this new reality,” said Bruce Rogers, chief insights officer and CMO practice leader, Forbes.
Marketing2020 is a joint initiative by EffectiveBrands, the ANA, the WFA, Spencer Stuart, Forbes, Adobe and MetrixLab. When completed, the study will represent the largest ever qualitative and quantitative study of marketing leaders and organizations, and will provide marketers around the world with best-practices to focus on, organize for and support business growth.
About the ANA
Founded in 1910, the Association of National Advertisers leads the marketing community by providing its members with insights, collaboration and advocacy. ANA's membership includes more than 500 companies with 10,000 brands that collectively spend more than $250 billion in marketing and advertising. The ANA strives to communicate marketing best practices, lead industry initiatives, influence industry practices, manage industry affairs, and advance, promote, and protect all advertisers and marketers. For more information, visit http://www.ana.net/, follow us on Twitter, join us on Facebook, or visit our YouTube channel.
EffectiveBrands is the only global marketing consultancy specifically focused on unleashing global marketing potential. The team of 75 global marketing consultants across five global offices brings deep marketing organizational expertise and experience to help clients develop and embed more effective global marketing strategies. The third edition of THE GLOBAL BRAND CEO – Building the ultimate marketing machine, written by the founders of EffectiveBrands, was published in 2012. http://www.effectivebrands.com/
About Forbes Media
Forbes Media LLC, publisher of Forbes magazine and forbes.com, is an authoritative source of news and information on business, investing, technology, entrepreneurship, leadership and affluent lifestyles. Forbes.com, a leading business website, currently reaches 46 million monthly unique visitors, according to Omniture. Forbes magazine, Forbes Asia and Forbes Europe attract a global audience of 5 million readers. The Forbes magazine iPad app merges the power of print storytelling with social sharing and the web. The Company also publishes ForbesLife magazine, as well as 28 licensed local editions around the world.
CooperKatz & Company for the ANA
CooperKatz & Company for the ANA