Multicultural Excellence Awards Call For Entries!
The call for entries for the 2014 ANA Multicultural Excellence Awards is now closed. Thanks to all who have entered! If there are questions, please contact Talia Fisher (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Click here for details
Members and non-members are welcome to participate!!
Winners will be announced at a special ceremony at the ANA's 16th Annual Multicultural Marketing & Diversity Conference held November 9–11 in Miami, Fla. at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach.
For further information, please contact Talia Fisher at 212.455.8008 (email@example.com)
About the Awards
The ANA Multicultural Excellence Awards celebrate the year's best multicultural advertising campaigns. The awards, sponsored by the ANA Multicultural Marketing & Diversity Committee, raise awareness and exposure of the outstanding work being done in the areas of African-American, Asian, Hispanic, LGBT, People with Disabilities and Total Market advertising.
ANA member and non-member companies, or agencies and media companies submitting on behalf of their clients may enter the awards. Winners will be chosen based on the creativity of the campaign and relevancy to the targeted segment. The deadline for submissions is Friday, August 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM ET.
Winners will be announced at the ANA's 16th Annual Multicultural Marketing & Diversity Conference, which takes place November 9–11 in Miami, FL at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach. A portion of the proceeds collected from the awards submission fees will help fund scholarships for high-potential multicultural students who plan to pursue careers in advertising and/or marketing.
Award Categories + Recognition
The 2014 competition will give out awards in 10 categories. One grand prize, plus category winners as appropriate, will be awarded for each of the following categories: African-American, Asian, Digital Media, Hispanic, LGBT, People with Disabilities, Radio, Print, Significant Results, and Total Market. The Digital Media, Radio, and Print categories span all segments and are NOT specific to any one segment.
Total Market is a marketing approach followed by corporations with their trusted internal and external partners which proactively integrates diverse segment considerations. This is done from inception through the entire strategic process and execution, with the goal of enhancing value and growth effectiveness. In marketing communications, this could lead to either one fully integrated cross-cultural approach, individual segment approaches, or both in many cases, but always aligned under one overarching strategy.
An optional award category to honor a "Multicultural Campaign with Significant Results" is also offered. All categories will be eligible to be considered for this Significant Results award. To be considered, you must check-off the appropriate box on the entry form, and include a one-page results summary that states campaign objectives and demonstrates effectiveness. There is no additional charge to compete for this award.
Companies/agencies/media companies are welcome to submit multiple entries within a category or across multiple categories.
Entries will be judged on creative excellence and relevancy to the multicultural category for which they are submitted. The ANA reserves the right to withhold an award in any category should entries not meet the criteria. Judges will include members of the ANA Multicultural Marketing & Diversity Committee and a select number of distinguished guests with expertise in multicultural marketing. All decisions are final.
The ANA shall have the right to publicize the submissions and their submitters in connection with the awards.
ANA member and nonmember companies, their agencies, or their media companies may enter.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING ONLY DIGITAL SUBMISSIONS
Two (and only two) pieces of creative from the same campaign must be included in the entry to qualify.
- The entry (for those not entering the Digital Media, Print, or Radio categories) may include any combination of creative materials from the following media: TV, radio, magazines, direct mail, print, out-of-home, and digital media advertising. (Example: an entry may consist of two TV commercials, a radio and a direct mail piece, or a print and digital media.)
- For those entering the Radio or Print categories, the entry must consist of two radio spots or two print ads. (A radio spot or print ad entered in this category can also be combined with other media from above and entered in another category.)
- For those entering the Digital Media category, please see "Additional Digital Media Category Specifications" on next page for further information.
- A media plan speadsheet must outline the campaign's media elements, indicating specifically where/when the submitted creative ran. An example and a template to complete are available here.
- The creative submitted must have run during the period from June 2013 through June 2014 within the U.S. for a minimum period of two weeks (non-consecutive weeks are acceptable)
- Translations (if applicable) must be included per the media specifications on next page.
- Please see "Preparation of Creative" below for restrictions by media.
The submission deadline is Friday, August 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM ET.
An entry fee is required for each submission for each individual campaign.
- $625 per entry
You may pay by credit card or check. Please make sure to include your check number on your entry form in the space provided. Please note: once an entry has been submitted and payment processed, no refunds shall be issued.
If paying by check, please mail a check made payable to Association of National Advertisers, Inc. with your entry ID# clearly marked on the check and mail to:
ANA Multicultural Excellence Awards
Attn: Talia Fisher
c/o Association of National Advertisers, Inc.
708 Third Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10017
Please note: once an entry has been submitted and payment processed, no refunds shall be issued.
Your entry ID # can be found in the email sent to you on your entry submission.
For your records, ANA's Federal ID # is 13-0453230.
(All previous guidelines apply as well as the following.)
Digital Media Category
For those entering the Digital Media category, the entry may include any combination of creative materials from the following media:
- Online display ads (e.g., banner, button, skyscraper, leaderboard, pop-up).
- Websites and microsites (could have more than one online element or execution in order to bring the campaign to life).
- Mobile (content developed specifically for handheld devices such as mobile phones and tablets).
- Online video (Any video that ran via online distribution. May include video uploaded to social networking sites by marketers or agencies).
Significant Results Category
All categories will be eligible to be considered for this Significant Results award. The entries in this category are subject to the same eligibility, deadline, and usage requirements. You cannot submit a campaign for the results category alone.
- Additional Submissions/Judging Criteria
- Check the respective box on the entry form.
- A one-page Significant Results Summary that states the campaign objectives and demonstrates effectiveness is required. It is up to the applicant to determine how "effective results" will be expressed. This must be signed by the applicant, serving as an affidavit of the accuracy of the statement. Please reference your research company/methodology if applicable. The Significant Results Summary must be enclosed with the base entry. This information will be reviewed by ANA staff and the judges and will otherwise be kept confidential. Download a Significant Results Summary example and fillable form here.
- An effective campaign can be in many forms. Some suggestions are: increased volume/increased share of market within the targeted segment, effectively created/increased awareness within the targeted segment, research showed dramatic changes in attitude toward the brand within the targeted segment, or results beyond the campaign objectives.
Fee: There is no additional charge to have your campaign considered for the Significant Results category.
Preparation of Creative
All of the following guidelines must be met for eligibility:
ALL submissions MUST be accompanied by your confirmation email text file. Files submitted without confirmation email will not be accepted.
Executions for each awards submission must be digitally submitted together in a single zip file.
- Format: Apple Quicktime
- Codec: ProRes 422, H.264, or uncompressed .mov (WMA files are not accepted.)
- Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 for 16:9 format; 1440 x 1080 or 960 x 720 for 4:3 format. File should be at least 100MB per 60 seconds of video.
- Non-English TV and radio spots must include subtitles that appear across the bottom of the screen. Radio spots should also contain a title slide that reads "Radio" and the company's name should be shown on the screen while the audio plays.
- Each execution cannot exceed 90 seconds. If the execution exceeds 90 seconds, it may be disqualified.
Do not include bars, slates, or credits. Sizzle reels will not be accepted for this category.
All ads to be submitted as a high resolution PDF file.
- Minimum size of PDF is 8" x 10".
- Maximum size of PDF file should not exceed 11" x 17".
- PDFs should have a minimum resolution of 266 dpi.
Non-English print and outdoor must contain a separate translation sent with the creative.
Digital Marketing & Media
- Executions must be submitted in either Quicktime (.mov/.m4v) or Flash/ Shockwave (.swf) formats. Each execution cannot exceed 90 seconds. Sizzle reels are acceptable.
- PDFs of screen captures of each ad must include all banners and buttons.
- PDFs cannot exceed 11" x 17".
How to Submit
Please complete the following steps:
- Review the call for entries.
- Complete the online entry form.
- Submit your form.
- You will receive a confirmation email with your completed entry information and upload instructions. Save this email as a text file.
- Create a single zip file for uploading. This should include your confirmation email text file, your content (in Quicktime [.mov/.m4v], Shockwave/Flash [.swf], or PDF format), and any support files. Files submitted without confirmation email will not be accepted.
- Upload your entry files here.
- Fill out the form with the following information:
- "Email" is your email address.
- "Subject" is MCE-xxx where "xxx" is the three-digit entry ID number provided in your confirmation email. This is extremely important. Without your ID number your entry risks being lost.
- "Message" is your contact information and the name of the company which you are representing.