Senior Communications Specialist
San Francisco, CA
Reporting to the Director of Integrated Marketing and Communications, the Communications Specialist will provide tactical communications support for all of Brown & Toland's communications and marketing efforts, including internal and external communications, public relations, assisting with media relations, social media, and marketing activities. The Senior Communications Specialist will work with all levels of employees within the organization, including senior staff, physicians, media, external vendors, and others.
The Senior Communications Specialist performs the full range of communications functions, in support of the organization's overall goals and mission.
Essential Job Functions:
- Research, write, edit, and publish quarterly Link physician newsletter and bi-monthly physician office e-newsletter, Physician Digest. Work with company's management team to develop annual physician content calendar, story ideas, and plan and develop Link and Physician Digest publication schedule of articles. Coordinate printing and distribution with printer. Maintain Link and Physician Digest electronic distribution list, to ensure that the list is accurate. Convert Linkto an electronic format.
- Provide editorial review for outgoing physician communications for the organization. Liaise with the Physician Services Department to ensure communications are relevant, clear, consistent, coordinated with company calendar and on-brand.
- Maintain corporate outgoing communications calendar on intranet (BTNET) and oversee and educate employees on communications process.
- Develop and maintain editorial calendar for consumers for multiple channels: external-facing website, HealthLink (semi-annual consumer lifestyle magazine), e-mail campaigns, etc. Create, review, edit, and publish content across channels. Coordinate with marketing managers to execute on integrated marketing strategies and marketing plans. Execution includes creating compelling and relevant content for the target segment in appropriate channels.
- Oversee design, development, and production of HealthLink working with communications and fulfillment agencies. Convert HealthLink to an electronic format. Maintain electronic distribution list/database for HealthLink readers and fulfill accordingly.
- Survey HealthLink readers bi-annually to identify opportunities to improve publication and e-magazine experience.
- Act as super-user for external-facing website. Oversee CMS (content management system) maintenance, rules, enhancements, and coordination with technical staff. Manage the content creation, review, and publishing process for the external-facing website. Liaise with different departments to ensure appropriate content is published and maintained throughout the site. Identify ways to improve SEO and SEM. Oversee website analytics and produce monthly website dashboards.
- Lead team through content-owner assignments and manage the content development and publishing process.
- Identify opportunities to improve website user experience.
- Coordinate with HR and executive management on employee communications. Write original content, edit and publish content submitted from other departments to ensure editorial accuracy and consistency. Maintain department's pages on intranet (BTNET).
- Execute on social strategy by maintaining Brown & Toland's Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, and other social media channels, including posting relevant updates and photos and linking to other sites on an ongoing basis. Monitor social media channels to ensure comments from others are not damaging corporate reputation. Coordinate updates on social channels with Brown & Toland's business activities and major advertising campaigns.
- Assist Director with other responsibilities, including event planning, press releases, media relations, and integrating content across e-mail campaigns. Serve as a liaison with outside vendors for other projects.
- Manage electronic PR tool for pro-active media outreach.
- Identify industry events and public relations opportunities for the company.
- Job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities, including documentation, if pertinent.
- Must possess journalism-quality writing skills, as well as excellent verbal communications skills, and the ability to work with all levels of employees within the organization.
- Must have strong editorial review, proof-reading, and publishing experience.
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of and experience working with print and web communications materials, and the ability to design multi-tiered, cross-channel communications.
- Must have strong SEO/SEM and website analytics experience.
- Proven capacity for developing and maintaining internal and external communication clients.
- Creative, problem-solving, and innovation skills.
Problem-solving capabilities, strong knowledge of web communications, e-mail campaigns, and analytics.
- Customer focused and communication skills.
Proven ability to work with all levels of employees, physicians, and BOD members.
Education and/or Training:
Bachelor's degree required; Masters' degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or related field preferred.
A minimum of seven to ten years' of increasingly responsible experience in the areas of journalism or corporate communications, including public relations, internal and external communications, advertising coordination, and media relations. Prior work experience in a health care setting preferred.
Click here to apply.