Manager, Internal Communications
Walnut Creek, CA
The Marketing Communications Department leads the application of marketing and communications principles and discipline to the strategic, marketing and brand objectives of the John Muir Health system. As an integral part of the Marketing Communications team, the Manager, Internal Communications supports the Director, Corporate Communications and initiates, plans, and implements a cohesive internal strategic communications program to build understanding of organizational goals and priorities and foster engagement among employees, physicians and volunteers. This position is also responsible for developing and managing John Muir Health’s social media presence to achieve strategic and organizational goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Internal Communications (75%)
- Serves as an advisor/internal communications thought leader to Director, Corporate Communications and to executives. Provides counsel regarding what information should be presented to employees, physicians and volunteers; the methods by which it should be delivered and the timing for the information's release. Supports recommendations with research or experience; proactively offers advice when needed to improve internal communications and organizational climate.
- Develops a strategic internal communications function and program that engages employees, physicians and volunteers at all levels of the organization to support John Muir Health’s organizational priorities. Initiates and prepares a strategic internal communications plan, including goals for the communications, the methods the organization will use to achieve those goals, and the timeframe in which the steps will be executed as well as resources required.
- Consistent with the internal communications plan, develops, edits and writes content for a variety of internal communications vehicles including e-mail, internal newsletters, employee forums, Intranet, etc. Works with the Intranet Webmaster to deliver information to employees and physicians via the intranet.
- Coaches management and staff on the best ways to communicate information to employees; advocates on behalf of internal communications strategy to gain alignment and support for cohesive internal communications program. Coordinates activities closely with Human Resources.
- Continually seeks information on trends and techniques in internal communication from across the health care industry, as well as best practices from other industries. Evaluates which new ideas and technologies would be appropriate and successfully incorporates them into the internal communications program.
- Determines whether internal communications initiatives are successful by developing measurement approaches and measuring the results of communication efforts (including surveys, focus groups, and other techniques determined to be appropriate). Uses information gained through measurement to adjust communication plan, messages, delivery methods, etc. as needed.
- Works closely with the Director, Corporate Communications to ensure consistency with the organization’s external communications.
Social Media (20%)
- Develops strategic social media plan to guide John Muir Health’s presence in social media and to ensure support of the organization’s strategic, reputation and marketing goals. Develops objectives, participation in sites, overview of content and continuous monitoring and reporting of efficiency and effectiveness in delivering on objectives.
- Monitors, responds to and participates in social media conversations on Yelp!, Facebook and emerging online sites that are relevant to John Muir Health. Identifies issues being discussed online that have the potential to impact the John Muir Health brand, notifying appropriate internal resources and assisting in developing a response.
- Creates content for various social media sites and organizes multiple departments within John Muir Health to help develop content for social media sites.
- Provides training and counsel to others in the organization so they can respond to and participate in social media conversations as well.
- Serves as a back-up media spokesperson for the organization; works with the Director, Corporate Communications to respond to media inquiries in a timely manner.
- Applies project management processes, techniques and tools to ensure that communications plans, budgets and timelines are achieved and to effectively and proactively communicate project status to affected constituents.
- When applicable, takes responsibility for effective and efficient management of external agencies/consultants to accomplish this work. Assures that projects meet objectives and are delivered on time and within budget.
- Demonstrates a high level of personal judgment and the ability to recognize the confidential nature of some information and the need to follow all confidentiality laws and regulations, including HIPAA and health system regulations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or a related field.
- Minimum 7 years of communications experience in a corporate or agency setting, with at least 5 years in internal communications and 2 years in social media. Health care experience, or experience working in a highly technical, complex organizational setting with “non desk” employees a plus.
- Demonstrable results in initiating, planning, and implementing complex and comprehensive internal communications programs to engage and inspire employees and other internal audiences. Experience using multiple communications platforms, including digital, print and events.
- Proven track record of taking initiative to identify and solve internal communications challenges, and in leading executives and others to support and champion an effective internal communications program.
- Outstanding oral, written and listening communication skills appropriate to internal communications are essential.
- Experience in strategically organizing and guiding participation in social media; demonstrated ability to evaluate results and recommend action.
- Capable of effectively managing numerous competing priorities. Proven experience in working cooperatively with diverse internal audiences at all levels of an organization.
- The successful candidate for this position will possess a demonstrated track record as a communications professional, be a team player and have a sense of humor. Flexibility is essential.
- Proficient at using web-based tools and applications for research. Proficient in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint and preferably all Microsoft Office Products. Ability to use standard office equipment including fax, copier, printer, telephone (voicemail) and e-mail systems.
Please click here. Job: # 00001827