Highlights from ANA/Effies Members Only Conferences
September 27, 2013
By Marni Gordon, vice president of committees and conferences, ANA
This month ANA partnered with Effie on two ANA Members Only Conferences themed: Effective Marketing & Media Insights. The first event was held on September 12th in New York City hosted by Time Warner Inc. The second conference was held the following week on September 19th at the GRAMMY Museum in Los Angeles hosted by AEG Worldwide and presented by the United States Postal Service.
Both conferences showcased winners of the 2013 Effie Awards North America program through case studies that focused on best practices for bringing ideas to life, key insights and industry trends. The Effie Awards recognize the most effective advertising – advertising that drives results – and their mission is, “to recognize, educate and encourage effectiveness among the marketing communications industry.”
Both days were filled with rich insights and included sessions from Ford Motor Company, JetBlue, Johnson & Johnson, Prudential, Mizuno, Activision, Hillshire Brands, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and United States Postal Service plus an overview on key trends and insights from 2013 Effie award winners. Here are some of the keys to success/lessons learned from both events:
- Start with a core idea rooted in strategic insights.
- Make the idea personal, social and shareable.
- Allow people to connect with your brand on their terms.
- Brands need to be in the content business and have the right context (right place, right time).
- Technology can make life a little more human.
- You need to be courageous and not afraid to take chances.
- It doesn’t matter how old your product is…if you capture the emotional moment and leverage technology, it can definitely change your brand.
- It is important to leverage the consumer insights you have to improve your brand and consumer experience.
- It is important to communicate your brand’s belief system and involve all stakeholders.
- Cultural inevitability can drive your business.
- Honor your core.
- Draw creative inspiration from outside your category.
- Great advertising is content.
- Big ideas are executionally flexible.
- Be strategically focused. Don’t try to make one thing the job of ten.
- Authenticity is the key to good creative.
- A good run can change your day, your life.
Here are a few facts shared on 2013 North American Effie Award winners:
- There were 93 medalists with 21 gold winners.
- The most effective brands were not the biggest spenders – 53% of gold winners had small budgets.
- Television was the hero media channel among winners and a key feature of successful entries.
- Activison’s Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 – The Vet and the noob won the 2013 Grand Effie Award.
ANA's Members Only Conferences are a complimentary benefit of ANA membership and are open to current members and invited guests only. ANA holds 20+ Members Only Conferences a year in locations throughout the country. We hope to see you soon at an upcoming ANA Members Only Conference and more information can be found here.
You must be logged in to submit a comment.