ANA 2012 Annual Conference Opens with Record Attendance
ORLANDO, Fla. – October 11, 2012 – The 102nd Annual ANA (Association of National Advertisers) “Masters of Marketing” Conference began today. The theme of this year’s conference is Growth: Mastering Brands and Driving Results; it is ANA’s largest event to date.
During his opening remarks to more than 2,000 attendees, ANA President and CEO Bob Liodice gave a ten-point assessment of the state of the advertising and marketing industry:
- Brands – Liodice noted that brand value has grown 66 percent in the past six years, and emphasized the importance of brand valuation in the industry.
- Media Investment – Given the weak economic climate, Liodice is pleased with reports of five percent media growth, and year-over-year statistics indicating that media spending is tracking higher than real GDP. Liodice discussed excitement and growth in a number of channels, including digital, mobile, social, iTV, outdoor and TV.
- Creative – Liodice congratulated a number of Cannes Lions winners and praised the industry’s creative prowess.
- Effectiveness – Beyond creativity, Liodice stressed the importance of superior effectiveness. He highlighted the Effies as the industry’s premier effectiveness yardstick.
- Measurement and Accountability – Liodice spotlighted industry efforts to bolster this category, particularly the 3MS (Making Measurement Make Sense) initiative. He also touched on the role of The Media Ratings Council as the new governing body for industry standard creation and announced a summit on brand-specific commercial ratings in November.
- Industry Productivity – The boards of the ANA, 4A’s and many other organizations have ratified Ad-ID as a key focus point to enhance industry productivity, and Liodice reemphasized this, touching on the billions in savings and high return on investment the standard promises.
- Industry Leadership – Liodice pointed out several key industry leadership/advocacy initiatives:
- Procurement – Liodice emphasized the need for transparency in the procurement process, and the proper handling of media and state rebates and incentives
- ICANN – While the gTLD rollout proceeded as planned, the ANA and its partners successfully elevated the issue and advertiser concerns. The ANA continues to support the creation of a “Do Not Sell” registry.
The conference is being held at the Rosen Shingle Creek in Orlando, Florida, through Saturday, October 13.
About the ANA
Founded in 1910, the ANA (Association of National Advertisers) leads the marketing community by providing its members with insights, collaboration, and advocacy. ANA's membership includes 450 companies with 10,000 brands that collectively spend over $250 billion in marketing and advertising. The ANA strives to communicate marketing best practices, lead industry initiatives, influence industry practices, manage industry affairs, and advance, promote, and protect all advertisers and marketers. For more information, visit www.ana.net, follow us on Twitter, join us on Facebook, or visit our YouTube channel.
Luna Newton, CooperKatz & Company for the ANA
Onsite at the Conference: (917) 755-1655 or email@example.com
Marcus Hardy, CooperKatz & Company for the ANA
(917) 595-3043 or firstname.lastname@example.org