The Art and Science of Brand Building
|Begins:||Tuesday, September 9, 2014 at 8:30am|
|Ends:||Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 5:00pm|
599 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Instructor: Richard Costello
Richard Costello is the founder of MagicEcho, a consultancy that facilitates retreats, strategy reviews, and brainstorming sessions for boards of directors, management teams, and industry groups. Prior to founding MagicEcho, Richard spent 22 years as the “brand guru” for General Electric. He led the development and implementation of the long running “We Bring Good Things to Life” advertising campaign. Born and educated in London, England, Richard started his career in the British advertising industry. He moved to the United States in 1973. He had worked for the advertising agency McCann Erickson, in London and New York, before joining GE in 1980.
Richard is a member of the ANA Faculty and has served as a board member and chairman of the ANA. He has also served on the boards of the Advertising Council, and is currently on their finance committee, and the BPA, where he continues to be a consultant to the chief executive officer.
1. Understanding the Consumer
- The customer is "Boss"
- Customer segmentation, need for focus
- Consumer centricity - vital to brand building
- Brand promise drives increased loyalty.
2. Developing the promise
- Brand promise defined
- Brand promise, building blocks.
- How brand promise provides competitive insulation;
- Components of a brand promise (points of parity vs. difference, reason to believe)
3. Shaping Your Brand's Unique Identity
- Why creating a unique brand identity is essential to separate your brand from competition;
- The power of names, colors, logos, symbols,
- Criteria for developing names, symbols
4. Persuading Powerfully
- Emotion is a powerful communication devise;
- The Triune Brain theory
- How the human brain receives messages
- Methods to communicate including (sound, pictures, symbols)
- Archetypes and storytelling
5. Evaluating Consistency
- The importance of consistency in brand messaging, and all customer touchpoints
- Messaging consistency best practices
- why message consistency drives marketing effective and efficient
- Focused, emotional message highly relevant to primary target
6. Measuring Brand Equity
- What is brand equity, how can it be measured, why do you want to grow it
- Building brand equity marketer's primary job
- Measuring brand equity
- Building a brand equity dashboard
7. Determining Brand Architecture
- The structure of brands within an organizational
- The way in which brands within a company's portfolio are related to, and differentiated from, one another
- How corporate brand and sub-brands relate to and support each other.
- Understand how a family of brands relate to one another,
- Brand architecture for product lines; differentiate by segment, price point, etc.
8. Extending the Brand
- Growth through brand extension
- Identify opportunities to extend your brand's domain (size)
- Look at your brand from a different perspective to find new growth opportunities.
- Add to your brand portfolio,
- Organic growth strategies, identify the right one.
9. Globalizing the Brand
- Why global brand expansion
- Global brand exception not rule
- Customers are global, shouldn't their brand be?